Thursday, January 12, 2006

Initial days and courses…


I started on the driving range with a couple of clubs borrowed form the clubhouse. Maybe because of playing so many games, the basic instinct was always present, and was able to reasonable connect the ball. I also did employ a coach for a few lessons, but that bloke was not really doing his job. I can say now after having self learnt most of my present game. I know I can straight away point out obvious faults, so I do not understand why that chap did not tell me. Maybe he just wanted to prolong the coaching sessions and earn more money!!! For almost one full year (interrupted by my ACL surgery and monsoons!) I spent whatever time I could spare on the driving range. But that was the time that I was not really focussed, and not really ‘thinking golf’ while practicing. The bloke of a coach also did not help. Result was that all my practice really did not reflect in the improvement in my game. I did not have the confidence neither the handicap to play the full course. I have a transferable job, so I moved out and found myself in a place with enough courses, but only one close by. Now that course, of which I became a member, had a water retention problem. Immediately after the monsoons the course used to dry up. And how! By Jan, large cracks would appear on the fairway which would swallow balls by the dozen. Being a hard, bald and stony course (more like a links course) preferred lie was allowed all through. But even that did not prevent the clubs from getting damaged. My game steady improved, and I was playing the course more. But I really like to practice. I enjoy spending time on the driving range, hitting ball after ball. It is actually not as boring as it might seem!!! Try it!!

No comments: