Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A lil about me…


I have always been inclined towards sports all my life. I was fortunate to be brought up in a place that had almost all the sports facilities. However, up to my late teens, I was more of a ‘Jack of all trades, master of none’!! I then started concentrating on one single game, no not golf, Squash!! That was, undoubtedly, my favourite game, and to some extent it still is. After about two years of self teaching, my game had reached a plateau, when suddenly, like a messiah, my squash coach appeared. For the sake of anonymity, I would refrain from naming people and specific places. Anyway, in just two months, my game was taken to an altogether different level!! I just cannot overemphasise the difference that a good coach makes to your game. I was now playing and competing with players that I hadn’t even dreamt of! However, as luck would have it, in one of the tournaments, I slipped on some sweat on the floor, twisted my knee badly, resulting in an ACL tear. The knee had to be operated upon for reconstruction surgery, and that was the end of my squash. Though I have recovered to quite a satisfactory level, the time spent in the hospital and the recovery period totally removed any slightest of thoughts that I had to return to competitive squash. It was a very emotional time for me, since I was very firmly on the road to playing my best squash, and had the confidence in myself to achieve my goals. Anyways, one of my beliefs in life is that generally everything happens for the better!! And in this case too, I can see a couple of brighter sides to it. For one, I was now able to devote much more time to my golf!!!
How I was initiated to golf, is a story in itself, which I will cover in my next post.

No comments: